Staff approval and renewal

Last updated August 14, 2019

We’re here to help! If you have questions or want to file a complaint, don’t hesitate to call us at (860) 500-4450 or (800) 282-6063.

In addition to licensing child care programs and youth camps, we also oversee the approval of certain staff members.

For child care centers and group child care homes, we approve education consultants, who must have:

  • an Associate, Bachelors, Masters or Doctoral degree in early childhood education, child development or human development or a four (4) year degree in a related field with at least twelve (12) credits in child development or early childhood education from an accredited college or university
  • two (2) or more years experience administering a licensed child care center that meets standards comparable to those in Connecticut

You should use this form to apply for education consultant approval.

For family child care homes, we approve the following roles:

  • Substitute: A person who is at least 20 years old, and meets the same qualifications as the provider and may take over when the provider isn’t available.
  • Assistant: A person who is at least 18 years old, and helps out in the family child care home while under supervision of the provider or substitute.  

We issue these approvals in writing, and they must be renewed every two years. The application fee is $15 for both new approvals and renewals. You can use the following forms to apply:

To check whether a person has been approved to work as staff in a family child care home, you can use the online lookup tool