Background Checks for Massachusetts

Do you need to get a background check from the Office of Early Childhood (OEC)? If you do and you lived outside of Connecticut within the last 5 years, you also need to request a background check from the state you lived in. It’s a key step in completing your OEC background check. You can’t work in a program unsupervised until your background check status is either “work supervised” or “current.”

Request a background check from Massachusetts

1. Complete the form

Download the Adam Walsh/CPS Background Record Request form.

Then, you can either:

  • Complete it in Microsoft Word and print it out
  • Print it out and fill it in manually (by hand)

Don’t sign the form yet — see the next step below.

2. Bring the form to a notary public

Notary publics are people appointed by the state to act as official witnesses. Search online to find a notary public near you. They’re often available at banks, libraries, post offices, or shipping centers.

When you go to the notary, you need to bring:

  • The form
  • Legal identification

The notary public will look at your ID and ask a few questions. When they tell you to, sign the form. The notary will then stamp or seal the form, making it official.

3. Send the completed, notarized form to OEC

Email a copy of the form to

If you prefer, you can also send it:

  • By fax: 860-326-0555 ATTN: Legal Division (Background Checks)
  • By mail:
    ATTN: Legal division (Background checks)
    Office of Early Childhood
    450 Columbus Blvd, Suite 303
    Hartford, CT  06103

What’s next?

Massachusetts will send the results of your background check directly to OEC.

In the meantime, make sure to complete the other steps in the background check process.

Last updated April 24, 2023