Learn About Out-of-State Background Checks

If you’ve lived in a different state or territory but work in Connecticut:

If you’ve lived in another state or territory during the past 5 years, the background check process will check registries in Connecticut and all other states where you’ve lived.

If you live in Connecticut but work in another state:

People who currently or previously lived in Connecticut within the past five years and now provide child care in another state will need to check the Connecticut DCF, sex offender, and criminal registries as part of their background check.

If you live in another country but plan to apply for a child care position in Connecticut:

  • You must have a job offer from a CT Licensed Center, Licensed Family Group Home, or License-exempt Center that receives Care 4 Kids funds before you can send fingerprints or forms to OEC
  • Wait until you’ve arrived in Connecticut to have your fingerprints taken

If you plan to work as an assistant or substitute in a Licensed Family Child Care Home, the licensee must send an OEC Licensing New Staff Application and fee before OEC can begin your required background check.

Last updated June 6, 2023