Background Checks for New Jersey

Do you need to get a background check from the Office of Early Childhood (OEC)? If you do and you lived outside of Connecticut within the last 5 years, you also need to request a background check from the state you lived in. It’s a key step in completing your OEC background check. You can’t work unsupervised in a program until your background check status is either “work supervised” or “current.”

Request a background check from New Jersey

1. Go to the New Jersey Child Abuse Record Information (CARI) website

Visit the CARI website to start the out-of-state background check process.

2. Fill out the “Requesting Agency Name and Information” section

You’ll need to enter information about OEC. Here’s what to type in:

  • Requesting Agency Name: Connecticut Office of Early Childhood
  • Agency Contact Name: Background Check Unit (Legal Division)
  • Agency email:
  • Contact phone number: 860-500-4526
  • Country: United States
  • Address 1: 450 Columbus Blvd., Suite 303
  • City: Hartford
  • State: Connecticut
  • ZIP: 06103
  • Are you a governmental agency: Select Yes
  • Are you an authorized child protection services (CPS) agency? Select No

When you’re done, select “Continue.”

3. Fill out the “Application Specifics” section

  • Where the form says “Please check guidelines for request,” select “Child Care and Development Block Grant Act”

4. Fill out the rest of the form

When you’re done, review the information you entered and make any changes you need.

Then select “Submit.”

What’s next?

New Jersey will send the results of the background check directly to OEC.

In the meantime, make sure to complete the other steps in the background check process.

Last updated April 24, 2023