Apply for a new license

Last updated August 14, 2019

Most programs that care for children must be licensed by the State of Connecticut. Each type of program has different licensing requirements. Family child care homes, group child care homes, child care centers, and youth camps differ based on a variety of factors. You can learn more about the definitions here.

We’re here to help! If you have questions or want to file a complaint, don’t hesitate to call us at (860) 500-4450 or (800) 282-6063.

How to get licensed

  1. Download your application packet. Each packet includes a checklist of the attachments you’ll need.
  2. Get a background check (except for youth camps). This process can take 3-4 months, so you should start it as soon as you start your license application. Learn more about getting a background check here.
  3. Pay the fee. You’ll need to include a check or money order made out to “Treasurer – State of Connecticut” with your application. The fees are as follows:
    • $40 for Family Child Care Homes
    • $250 for Group Child Care Homes
    • $500 for Child Care Centers
    • $315 for non-profit Youth Camps; $815 for for-profit camps
  4. Mail us your application. Send us your completed application along with a check for the fee. For youth camps, we’ll need the application at least 30 days before the camp opens. Group child care homes and child care centers need to send their application at least 60 days before opening.
  5. Get an inspection. Once we process your completed application, a member of the licensing staff will contact you to schedule an inspection. Please be familiar with any statutes and regulations that apply to your program. You can learn more here.

Mail your application and check to:

Office of Early Childhood
Division of Licensing
450 Columbus Blvd.
Suite 302
Hartford, CT 06103

Once you’re licensed, you can start providing care for children. We conduct annual unannounced inspections to monitor compliance with all requirements. Licenses for family child care homes, group child care homes, and child care centers need to be renewed every four years. Youth camp licenses need to be renewed annually. We’ll notify you when it’s time to renew.

We have published tutorials to help you navigate the application process:

For additional documents and sample policies, please visit our forms pages for Family Child Care Homes, Child Care Centers and Group Child Care Homes, or Youth Camps.