Get OEC Approval for Staff Substitutes and Assistants

About substitutes and assistants

In family child care homes, we approve the following staff:

  • Substitute: A person twenty (20) years of age or older who may assume the provider’s responsibilities in the provider’s absence and who meets the same qualifications as the provider.   
  • Assistant: A person who is at least eighteen (18) years of age or older who may assist the provider in the family child care home while the provider is present.  

To check whether a person has been approved to work as staff in a family child care home, you can use the online lookup tool

Apply to become staff in a family child care program

Step 1. Download the application and fill it out

Step 2. Submit the application

Send the application and $15 fee to:

Office of Early Childhood
Division of Licensing
450 Columbus Boulevard Suite 302
Hartford, CT 06103

What’s next?

We’ll review your application and respond to you soon. We issue these approvals in writing.

Renewing your approval

You need to renew every 2 years.

We will notify you when it is time to renew your approval with directions on how to renew. The renewal fee is $15. 


We’re here to help! If you have questions or want to file a complaint, call us at 860-500-4450 or 800-282-6063. 

You can also look up the licensing supervisor for your town to contact them directly.

Last updated April 4, 2024