The new OEC Background Check Information System (BCIS) is now live! BCIS is the portal to submit required information to OEC to complete your background check for child care.
BCIS is a tool to help you submit required information to OEC. It dramatically streamlines the process of getting a background check for child care.
Once you’re enrolled, BCIS will guide you through a series of steps for getting a background check, including:
- Entering demographic information
- Completing 2 online forms — the DCF Authorization Form and an FBI Privacy Rights Act Statement
- Enrolling in CT Criminal History Request System (CCHRS) — the new system launched by the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection (DESPP)
- Choosing how you want to submit fingerprints
- If you have a BCIS account, log into BCIS now
- Learn how to enroll in BCIS and get a background check
- If you’re a child care facility administrator, get guidance on using BCIS to manage your roster
- Find out what BCIS statuses mean — like “pending” and “in process”
Choosing how to get fingerprints
Digital fingerprinting from 2-1-1 Child Care
OEC has partnered with 211 Child Care to collect fingerprints digitally and securely transmit them directly to DESPP. This saves you time and money. No fee, no mess, less time, and — best of all — no printing onto cards, which greatly reduces the rate of fingerprint rejections.
Schedule your digital fingerprint appointment with 211 Child Care. On the day of your appointment, remember to bring your current government- or school-issued photo ID with you and your applicant tracking number. No friends, food, or drink allowed.
When you’re enrolling in the CT Criminal History Request System (CCHRS) — now a part of the background check process — CCHRS will ask for a service code during your registration. Choose the code that applies to you. If you are not sure which code to use, please check with your employer:
F322-6F2D OEC Child Care Center
9096-9C91 OEC Family Child Care
32B8-19FD OEC Family Child Care Adult Household Member
9160-27E6 OEC Group Child Care Home
C760-56C9 OEC Unlicensed Care 4 Kids Child Care Provider (Non-relative)*
* Use this code for a child care facility that is operated by a public school district, a city or town, or another organization that is exempt from child care licensing and receives Care 4 Kids funds. If you are not sure, please check with your employer.
Fingerprinting at state police troops
If you prefer, you can also get digital fingerprints at some police stations. Keep in mind that most police departments charge a fee to collect fingerprints. This is separate from the processing fees that are currently covered by OEC and you will need to pay any fees charged by the police to collect your fingerprints. Check with your local police and ask if they offer digital fingerprints. You can also set up an appointment at a local police troop.
Would you prefer to submit traditional fingerprints by mail? Follow these instructions.
The Office of Early Childhood is paying the background check processing fees for applications postmarked or digitally submitted through April 1, 2022.