Get Help with Questions about Your Child’s Development

Families often have questions about their child’s development.  When should I expect them to walk or talk? Should I be concerned if my child has a tantrum?  Is lying a problem?

We’re here to help! Below are several resources that can help you answer common questions about your child’s development.

  • 2-1-1 Child Development Infoline can work with you to help understand your needs and questions. They can provide you with resources related to child development, challenging behaviors, and other challenges you are facing. Call 800-505-7000 to reach the infoline.
  • The Ages and Stages Questionnaires (ASQ-3) provide a fun, interactive way to understand your child’s skills and notice changes over time.  As a parent, you can enroll in CT’s Ages and Stages Monitoring program for free, through the Child Development Infoline.  Visit the 2-1-1 Child Development Ages and Stages webpage to learn more about how you can answer a few questions and begin to keep track of your child’s development from 2 months to 5 years of age. 
  • The Sparkler app provides a way to access the Ages and Stages Questionnaires on through a mobile app.  Sparkler also includes idea for fun activities to spark your child’s growing heart, mind, body, and words!  For more information, visit the OEC Sparkler webpage.
  • Our child development milestones handout will give you a sense of what to expect as your child grows.

Concerned your child may have a developmental delay?

Some children need extra help as they learn and grow. Children may need support with:

  • Talking and using words
  • Crawling and walking
  • Grabbing and holding things

Remember: Children develop at different rates. You don’t need to worry just because your neighbor’s kid started crawling or talking a little before yours did.

But if you notice any signs that worry you, take action. Trust your instincts — as a parent, you know your child best. The good news is there are lots of ways to help children with developmental delays.

If you have concerns you can:

What kind of support is available?

If your child has a developmental delay or disability, Connecticut has lots of programs and organizations that can help.

Birth to Three

Connecticut’s Birth to Three System was built to help all families who have children age 3 and younger with developmental disabilities or delays. Birth to Three can: 

  • Check your child’s development
  • Look for signs of autism (if they’re 16 months or older)
  • Create a personalized family support plan for your child 
  • Connect you with experts who can meet with your family at home or in the community, or meet with your child’s caregiver at their child care program

All of these supports are entirely covered by state and federal funds, Medicaid, and commercial insurance. Learn more on the Birth to Three website.

Preschool special education services

Schools in Connecticut offer free or low-cost special education for children ages 3 and 4 who have delays or disabilities. Connecticut’s Child Development Infoline can tell you who to contact in your community. Call 2-1-1 Child Development at 800-505-7000. 

Early Childhood Consultation Partnership (ECCP)

If you child is enrolled in a child care program and is experiencing anxiety, behavioral challenges (e.g., biting, hitting, running away, etc.), has difficulty with attention, poor social skills, or is at risk of suspension or expulsion, ECCP may be able to help. They can also be a resource if your child is experiencing a stressful event such as the birth of a sibling, parental separation, loss of a family member, or a community stressor such as a storm, flood, etc. Visit the ECCP website to learn more about their Child Services and to find an ECCP consultant in your area.

Contact the Connecticut Parent Advocacy Center (CPAC)

CPAC is dedicated to children with disabilities and chronic health problems. Experts at CPAC help parents advocate for their children, so their kids can learn to their full potential. CPAC also has information about the laws that protect children with disabilities, like IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act). Find out how CPAC can help your family.

Last updated January 25, 2023