If you’re having a problem with a child care provider, early childhood education program, or camp, you can file a formal complaint. But before you do, try to talk to the provider or staff directly. You may be able to find a solution with a simple conversation.
Learn how to make a complaint
Below you’ll find contact information for filing complaints with different programs or departments. Some programs have their own complaint forms, which you can send in directly.
Child care programs or youth camps
- Call the Office of Early Childhood (OEC) Licensing Complaint Line at 860-500-4450 (or 800-282-6063 toll-free)
- Or, you can download and fill out the OEC Complaint Intake Form
Birth to Three programs
- Call Connecticut Birth to Three at 866-888-4188 to file a complaint
- You can also use the Birth to Three System Complaint Form
Care 4 Kids programs
- Call 888-214-5437 to file a complaint about a Care 4 Kids program
- Or you can fill out the Care 4 Kids Hearing Request Form
Department of Children and Families (DCF)
- Call the DCF Office of the Ombudsman at 866-637-4737
Programs funded by the Connecticut State Department of Education
- Call 860-713-6543 and say you need to file a complaint
Report abuse or neglect
If you think a child is being abused or neglected, call the Department of Children and Families at 800-842-2288.
If the abuse or neglect is happening at a child care program or camp, please also call OEC’s Licensing Division at 860-500-4450 (or 800-282-6063 toll-free).
Report discrimination or bias
Have you, your child, or your family been treated differently or unfairly because of your race, ethnicity, gender, or ability?
Speak with the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities
The Commission helps people who have complaints about discrimination or bias related to their jobs, housing, or state services. Keep in mind that there are deadlines for filing complaints.
Call the Commission at 860-541-3400