File a Complaint

Anyone can file a formal complaint with OEC about a child care provider, early childhood education program, or camp — including a child’s parents or caregivers, neighbors, and program staff.  

When possible, we recommend trying to talk to the provider directly before filing a complaint. Sometimes a simple conversation will resolve the problem.

Make a complaint about a program

Below you’ll find contact information for filing complaints with different programs or departments. Some programs have their own complaint forms, which you can send in directly.

Birth to Three programs 

Child care programs or youth camps

Care 4 Kids programs 

Department of Children and Families (DCF)

  • Call the DCF Office of the Ombudsman at 866-637-4737

Report child abuse or neglect

If you suspect a child is being abused or neglected, call the Department of Children and Families at 800-842-2288.

If the abuse or neglect is happening at a child care program or camp, please also call OEC’s Licensing Division at 860-500-4450 (or 800-282-6063 toll-free).

Report discrimination or bias

Have you, your child, or your family been treated differently or unfairly because of your race, ethnicity, gender, or ability? 

Speak with the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities
The Commission helps people who have complaints about discrimination or bias related to their jobs, housing, or state services. Keep in mind that there are deadlines for filing complaints.

Call the Commission at 860-541-3400 

Visit their website to learn more about the complaint process

Have other questions or comments?
Last updated June 6, 2024