File a Complaint

If you’re having a problem with a child care provider, early childhood education program, or camp, you can file a formal complaint. But before you do, try to talk to the provider or staff directly. You may be able to find a solution with a simple conversation.

Learn how to make a complaint

Below you’ll find contact information for filing complaints with different programs or departments. Some programs have their own complaint forms, which you can send in directly.

Child care programs or youth camps

Birth to Three programs 

Care 4 Kids programs 

Department of Children and Families (DCF)

  • Call the DCF Office of the Ombudsman at 866-637-4737

Programs funded by the Connecticut State Department of Education

  • Call 860-713-6543 and say you need to file a complaint

Report abuse or neglect

If you think a child is being abused or neglected, call the Department of Children and Families at 800-842-2288.

If the abuse or neglect is happening at a child care program or camp, please also call OEC’s Licensing Division at 860-500-4450 (or 800-282-6063 toll-free).

Report discrimination or bias

Have you, your child, or your family been treated differently or unfairly because of your race, ethnicity, gender, or ability? 

Call OEC at 860-500-4412 and ask to make a bias or discrimination complaint.

You can also get help from these organizations:

  • Speak with the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities
    The Commission helps people who have complaints about discrimination or bias related to their jobs, housing, or state services. Keep in mind that there are deadlines for filing complaints.
  • Contact Disability Rights Connecticut 
    This non-profit organization protects the rights of people with disabilities and their families. 

Have other questions or comments?

Check out our contact us page for more information.

Last updated July 21, 2020