OEC Strategic Plan, Public Forums
Strategic Planning Process
The Office of Early Childhood (OEC), a state agency created in 2013, envisions a Connecticut where all young children are safe, healthy, learning and thriving. The OEC’s hope is that each child is surrounded by a strong network of nurturing adults who deeply value the importance of the first years of a child’s life and who have the skills, knowledge, support and passion to meet the unique needs of every child.
To help us achieve our vision, the OEC will be creating a 4-year strategic plan to guide our work over the coming years.
Your feedback will help enrich our planning. Below are opportunities that will allow you to share your thoughts and help influence the plan.
- Process Overview (pdf)
Phase 1: Summer 2015
Public Forums on Strategic Plan Framework
The OEC held public forums across the state to seek input from the public on its strategic plan framework. Over the past decade, many reports have been written by commissions, task forces, policy groups, researchers and state agencies about ways to improve public policy and direct dollars to better support young children and families. These reports incorporated significant public participation and the OEC has chosen to use the wisdom, work and input collected in these reports as a starting point for its strategic plan framework. The OEC reviewed over fifty of these state and national strategy papers and synthesized their recommendations as the foundation of its strategy framework. Strategic Planning Framework (pdf)
The OEC hosted 6 public forums in July and August and over 150 stakeholders attended. An online survey was also available to capture written feedback. The feedback collected is driving revisions to the Strategic Planning Framework. Below is the presentation, webinar recording, and summary of feedback collected.
Phase 2: Winter 2015/2016
Public Forums and Online Survey on Strategic Plan First Draft: Winter 2016
The first draft of the OEC’s strategic plan has been developed with specific outcomes, goals, and strategies. It incorporates public feedback from the summer forums as well as new legislation. The OEC welcomes public input on this draft plan and will share the draft and seek feedback through its website, webinars, public forums and the Early Childhood Cabinet.
Target audience: Providers, parents, community members, the public
Purpose: To collect feedback on the goals and objectives of the strategic plan
What will be shared and discussed: The draft strategic plan with clear goals and objectives
Format: Community-based meetings at night, weekends, and daytime in parent-friendly locations and embedded in existing community meetings where possible
- January 26, 2016, 5:30PM-7:00PM: YWCA, 19 Franklin Sq., New Britain, CT
- January 27, 5-7PM: Waterbury Arts Magnet School (WAMS), 16 S. Elm St, Waterbury CT (Snow Date: February 1)
- January 28, 6-7:30PM: Goodyear Early Childhood Center, 22 Williamsville Road, Killingly, CT (Snow Date: February 11)
- February 3, 5:30-7:30PM: Mansfield Town Hall, 4 South Eagleville Road, Mansfield, CT
- February 4, 3:30-5PM: Graustein Memorial Fund, 2319 Whitney Ave # 2B, Hamden, CT (Snow Date: February 10)
- February 9, 5:30-7PM: Poquonock Community Church, 1817 Poquonock Avenue, Windsor, CT (CANCELLED- Snow Date Pending)
- February 11, 9:30-11AM: Childcare Learning Centers, CLC William Pitt, 195 Hillandale Avenue, Stamford, CT (Snow Date: February 18)
- *February 18, 6-7:30PM: Discovery Interdistrict Magnet School, 4510 Park Ave, Bridgeport, CT
- *February 19, 10AM-12PM: Education Connection, 4 Mountainview Terrace, Suite 201, Danbury, CT
- February 22, 2-3:30PM: United Way-Rocky Hill, 1344 Silas Deane Hwy 306, Rocky Hill, CT (Snow Date: February 24)
- *February 23, 5:30-7PM: City Hall, 125 East Ave., Norwalk, CT – CANCELLED
Due to tonight’s inclement weather, the Strategic Planning Forum scheduled for tonight in Norwalk, CT will be postponed to Tuesday, March 1, 2016. The time (5:30-7pm) and location (City Hall, 125 East Ave., Norwalk, CT) are still the same.
Thank you for your patience. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com .
- February 25, 1-2:30PM: Torrington City Hall, 2nd floor auditorium, 140 Main Street, Torrington, CT (Snow Date: February 29) Spanish Translator will be available
- *February 25, 5:30-7PM: Poquonock Community Church, 1817 Poquonock Avenue, Windsor, CT
- *February 26, 2:30-4:30PM: Groton Public Library, 52 Newtown Rd, Groton CT
*= a new addition or update
If you need a reasonable accommodation, such as sign language or interpretation services, etc., please contact firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
If you would like to host a strategic planning forum for stakeholders in your community or would like more information, please contact Mary Farnsworth at email@example.com.
Online Feedback Tool
The Office of Early Childhood welcomes your feedback on the first draft of the strategic plan. Please click on the link below for an online tool to capture your suggestions.
Final Strategic Plan Released: Projected Winter 2016
After incorporating public feedback, the OEC will release its final 4 year strategic plan and an annual operational plan, entailing how the agency will work toward its 4-year goals each year.
For more information, please contact Mary Farnsworth at firstname.lastname@example.org.