Federal COVID-19 relief funds will help support Connecticut child care programs

Last updated March 26, 2021

Connecticut has received $70 million in Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSAA) funding and anticipates $276 million more in The America Rescue Plan (ARP) funds to support child care programs. The CRRSAA funds may be used to provide direct child care services; resources, supplies and/or technical assistance; and stabilization grants to support increased operating expenses. ARP funds provide $170 million to stabilize the child care industry and $106 to expand child care assistance.

How will OEC use this funding?

OEC will announce new initiatives to financially support program operations and to offer resources, professional development, and technical assistance.   Stabilization funding for providers will be available to address operational costs, including increased pandemic related expenses, and will emphasize the importance of service to families with infants and toddlers, and to those most impacted by the pandemic.

The OEC will use the federal COVID-19 relief funds to develop initiatives that use these principles:

  • Impact/Effectiveness
  • Equity
  • Timeliness
  • Sustainability

What is happening now?

OEC is preparing to make payments to applicants by ensuring that providers have supplier ID numbers.  If you have already received funding from OEC under one of our CT CARES initiatives, you already have a supplier ID.  If you have not received any COVID-19 funding from OEC, our partner 2-1-1 Child Care will reach out to you to gather the IRS W-9 form necessary to establish the supplier ID.

OEC will announce the application process for child care providers to apply for federal funds as soon as possible.

What do I need to do next?

  1. If you do not have a supplier ID, respond to either an email from kickstart@ctunitedway.org or direct calls from 2-1-1 Child Care to set up your supplier ID. You could receive both an email and a direct call.
  2. If you do not know if you have a Supplier ID, please call 2-1-1 Child Care at 1-800-505-1000 or email kickstart@ctunitedway.org and include your license number to expedite assistance.
  3. If you already have a supplier ID, there is nothing you need to do right now.
  4. Expect an announcement from OEC about opportunities to apply for funding, as well as the new resources that are available to support your program.

I have questions. Who can I reach out to?

If you have any questions about this process or want to confirm that you have a supplier ID, please contact 211 Child Care at 1-800-505-1000 or email kickstart@ctunitedway.org and include your child care license number to expedite assistance.

If you would like to learn more about OEC’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic, please visit our COVID-19 section to learn about resources and programs currently available to providers and families.

OEC will continue to update this page and to communicate with provides directly as this process unfolds.  We look forward to supporting you!