The Connecticut Office of Early Childhood (OEC) is excited to be launching the first ever Parent Cabinet!
The Parent Cabinet is a diverse parent-led advisory group to OEC. It meets regularly to help make improvements to the lives of children and families across the state by working directly with the state agency that oversees child care and Care 4 Kids, home visiting, licensing, and early intervention. Learn more about what OEC does.
Watch a video about the Parent Cabinet
Make a difference in the lives of families
Too often, parents and caregivers don’t get a say in the laws and policies that directly affect their families. The Cabinet is designed to help change that. We’re turning to the experts — parents and caregivers like you.
By giving you a chance to work directly with OEC — and to report back about the concerns and experiences of other parents — members of the Parent Cabinet will provide guidance on:
- How to improve programs, policies, and laws related to young children and their families
- The needs of families from all backgrounds
- How OEC can form lasting and effective partnerships with families
To build strong connections, listen intentionally, and partner with Connecticut families of young children, communities, and OEC to incorporate the expertise of all parents throughout the early childhood system to ensure family-driven equitable policies and programs.
Take on real responsibility
The Parent Cabinet has 15 members and each member serves for 2 years. Parent Cabinet members will:
- Attend trainings to prepare them for their role
- Spend at least 42 hours a year on Parent Cabinet responsibilities — attending monthly meetings, working on projects, meeting with communities, and more
In exchange, each member will receive a stipend.
To keep the membership of the Cabinet balanced regionally, we set some requirements.
- 2 members need to be from each of the 6 regions of the Department of Children and Families (DCF) map
- 3 at-large members are from anywhere across the state
Learn more about the Parent Cabinet — or apply to join
The Parent Cabinet application goes live May 19, 2021, and will be open for 6 weeks ending June 28, 2021. We encourage all parents or caregivers in Connecticut to apply to become a member of the Parent Cabinet.
You can apply for a position on the Parent Cabinet. It is available in Spanish translation also. The application can only be submitted online through the link above. This application can not be saved and resumed later however the short essay questions are posted on the application at the top.
Check out our Questions and Answers page to get more details on how the Parent Cabinet works, what member responsibilities are, and more. You can also learn more about the history of the Parent Cabinet.