On August 19, 2021, Governor Lamont issued an order that requires COVID-19 vaccines for:
- Child care staff, including those who work in OEC-licensed child care centers, group child care homes, family child care homes, and licensed youth camps that operate during the school year
- Pre-K through grade 12 school employees
- State employees
On this page, you can get more details and find out how this order will affect your program.
What’s the requirement?
As of September 27, 2021, all staff — with some exceptions — in licensed child care centers, group child care homes, family child care homes, and licensed youth camps operating during the school year must either:
- Be fully vaccinated for COVID-19
- Have already received their first dose of the vaccine
Staff members who aren’t fully vaccinated will need to get tested weekly. Learn more about the requirements for covered workers.
Are there exceptions to the vaccine requirement?
Yes. Learn more about compliance and medical or religious exemptions. Anyone who is exempted will need to provide proof of weekly testing. Keep in mind that a staff member telling you that they received the shot — e.g., personal attestation — does not count as an acceptable form of proof.
How can staff get the vaccine or weekly tests?
- Find places to get the vaccine on the CT Vaccine Portal
- Check out the Connecticut COVID-19 Response page — their site can help you find local testing locations by entering your zip code
Why did the state make this requirement?
The Governor made this decision based on the rising prevalence of COVID-19 variants, infection and hospitalization rates, and the fact that COVID-19 presents increased risk to:
- Children under 12 who cannot be vaccinated
- People whose medical conditions reduce their immune response