Connecticut Documentation & Observation for Teaching System (CT DOTS)
Connecticut’s Documentation & Observation for Teaching System (CT DOTS) is a framework to guide early care and education providers in a process of monitoring children’s progress on the skills, abilities, and behaviors in the Connecticut Early Learning and Development Standards (CT ELDS).
Used in conjunction with the CT ELDS, CT DOTS is a foundation for:
- Gathering data about children’s skills, abilities, and behaviors
- Planning additional supports (e.g., curriculum, instruction, professional development, family activities, adult support)
- Summarizing evidence of children’s progress
- Communicating around common goals
CT DOTS supports early care and education providers to observe children in naturally occurring situations and to plan engaging experiences that allow for more intentional observations.
A tool for partnering with families
CT DOTS also provides a structure for providers to partner with families in sharing information about individual children. Information from CT DOTS can be used to:
- Provide immediate support of children’s learning
- Communicate with families and/or other professionals about children’s learning and development
- Share a summary of learning and development based upon evidence collected across settings and contexts
- Plan additional supports (e.g., curriculum, instruction, professional development, family activities, adult support)
- Communicate about common goals for children